Are There Really 103 Essential Minerals?

Are There Really 103 Essential Minerals?

Are There Really 103 Essential Minerals?

Minerals have been the trending topic on social media for some time now.  Everyone is raving about Celtic Salt, Shilajit, and Sea Moss for their rich, bioavailable essential mineral content and how each substance can help to support the human body.  One of the most common claims about these substances is how many of the total essential minerals are present in each substance and how each stacks up to the complete essential spectrum which many are claiming to be 103!  “Sea Moss contains 92 of the 103 essential trace minerals.” “Celtic Salt contains all of the essential trace minerals.” The question is, are there really 103 essential minerals for the human body?  The simple answer is, no.

This herbalist has not been able to find a single peer reviewed article or book which specifically defines and confirms these supposed 103 essential minerals.  In truth, approximately 96% of the human body is composed of 11 elements: Oxygen, Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sulfur, Sodium, Chlorine, and Magnesium.  Combined, these elements make up the “internal ocean” of the human body which accounts for approximately 70% of a person’s mass when properly hydrated. The other 26% makes up the bulk of the solid structures.  The remaining 4% is composed of all other known essential, potentially essential, inert, and potentially harmful trace elements.  There are only 118 elements on the Periodic Table to start, and 45 of those elements are extremely rare, highly toxic, radioactive elements which are only utilized or present in the nuclear sciences.  All total, there are approximately 60-72 trace elements occurring in the human body.

Together, water and salt are mainly responsible for carrying the body’s bioelectric currents and maintaining the daily operations of the body.  The elements which primarily compose these substances are the most essential and need to be replenished frequently.  It is best to be mindful of overall salt intake, even from more natural sources.  It is best not to exceed more than 1 teaspoon of salt daily, spread throughout the day in electrolyzed water, added to food, and naturally occurring in food sources.

While incredibly mineral rich, the power of Shilajit lies in its organic compounds: humic and fulvic acid.  Along with its many other beneficial constituents and nutrients, Shilajit acts as a catalyst substance which helps to promote the absorption of everything else being taken in by the body.  It can also help to support the body’s natural reparative processes, but even ancient texts recommend combining Shilajit with other herbs, overall diet, and lifestyle habits to support a desired end result.

Sea Mosses, Chondrus Crispus or otherwise, are actually 80% soluble fiber.  The other 20% is composed of proteins, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and trace minerals.  While the mineral content from Sea Moss is highly bioavailable, it is not the best seaweed from which to obtain minerals.  Bladderwrack, Atlantic Brown Kelp, and other sea grasses lower in soluble fiber content are actually more rich in macro and micro nutrients over Sea Moss.  In general, seaweeds are most beneficial for the Respiratory, Endocrine, Digestive and Immune Systems of the body.

The unsung hero of more natural mineral sources from the oceans is ancient Fossilized Coral “Calcium.”  While coral calcium is mostly composed of naturally ionic calcium carbonate, it is also naturally rich in the other ionic essential minerals necessary for the body to absorb calcium into bone and joint tissue.  The bones and teeth are where the body keeps its mineral reserves.  This makes coral calcium one of the best sources to promote the restoration of depleted mineral stores in the body.  Hormone balancing, especially Thyroid support, Vitamin D-3, and K2 may also help to promote the best absorption of calcium.

There is plenty of evidence to support that each of the previously mentioned, mineral rich sources has their virtues and supports the body in different ways.  It is important to recognize that no single mineral source is superior to another, but each has their separate role to play in supporting the body.